This delicately floral, pink dessert is not quite sorbet, not quite ice cream, so I’ve gone with ‘frozen dessert’ as the best way of describing it!
It is dairy free, vegan, refined sugar free and gluten free and is the perfect way to celebrate the ever so slightly warmer days and the promise of Spring!
I’m lucky enough to have a Flowering Currant bush (Ribes sanguineum) in my garden and I love experimenting with new ways to use the edible flowers it produces. A couple of years ago I made Flowering Currant cordial, which is delicious but difficult to make/preserve now I’m mainly avoiding refined sugar. Last year I dried the flowers and used them to make tea, which was also really tasty!
This recipe can be used to either make the ‘dessert’ by adding coconut milk, or you can leave that out and use the liquid to make ice pops! The pink colour of the juice is just amazing. I love it, such a cheery shade! Adding the coconut milk gives the dessert only a delicate pale hint of pink, which is lovely but much less striking.
The sweetness can be easily adjusted to taste, if making ice pops for young kids they might prefer them a bit sweeter, I quite like it with less sweetness, so I can really taste the flowers.
When picking your flowers ensure firstly that you have the right bush, then make sure that you are picking from an area that has not been sprayed with pesticides and avoid any lower branches that might have been peed on by dogs!
Shake the flowers to dislodge any bugs, but there is no need to wash the flowers. I picked enough to fill this large jar(which I’d say is about 4-5 cups of flowers), then added the lemon juice and enough boiling water to half fill the jar.( Which magically turned out to be exactly 500ml once I’d strained it later!)
It does take a day or so to make the dessert, to allow time for the water to infuse with the flowers and to allow it to freeze, so it’s not something that can be made in a hurry! (If you need a dessert in a hurry, I recommend the Chocolate 5 Minute Mug Pudding!)
Flowering Currant Frozen Dessert Recipe (df, sf, gf, vegan) Makes approx 1 litre.
- Approx 4-5 cups of flowering currant flowers
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 500ml boiling water
- Agave syrup or similar light-coloured liquid sweetener
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Put your flowers in a jar and add the lemon juice and pour over the boiling water.
- Wait for it to cool, then put the lid on and place in the fridge overnight.
- Strain the liquid and dispose of the flowers.
- Sweeten to taste with the agave syrup.
- If making ice-pops use the liquid at the point by pouring it in to moulds and freezing.
- If making the dessert, add the tin of coconut milk and blend/stir until combined.
- Pour in to a container (remembering the liquid will expand when freezing) and put in the freezer for 3-4 hours
- Remove and stir and then place back in the freezer until set.
- When serving, allow to sit out at room temp for a few minutes so it becomes scoopable!
I hope you enjoy this delicious dessert as much as we did! Remember to sign up to the newsletter to get plant-based recipes, health tips and more, direct to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram to get sneak-peeks of recipes and occasional photos of my dog!
Take care of each other out there, it’s a crazy world we live in right now ❤ (Also here’s some advice on immunity boosting if you need it)
Pin this for later!