To me elderflowers herald the end of Spring and the beginning of Summer and their sweet and fragrant blooms are perfect for making cordial. If you get a bit bored of drinking your cordial though, you could try baking with it instead! (Elderflower Ice Pops are also a winner in this house and these lolly moulds are perfect for little ones!)
This deliciously moist elderflower drizzle cake is gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and vegan and is easy enough to bake with the kids. If you like lemon drizzle cake you are gonna love this floral twist!
I’ve used agave syrup in this cake in place of sugar, but you could use a different liquid sweetener if you wanted to. I’m lucky enough to have several elder trees in my garden so I can make my own elderflower cordial, but shop-bought is just fine!
If you want to make your own sugar free elderflower cordial you can steep some flowers in hot water overnight, then strain, add a splash of lemon and agave syrup to taste. It won’t last long because there’s no sugar to preserve it, so only make small amounts and keep it in the fridge (or freeze in ice cubes to use later).
Elderflower Drizzle Cake Recipe (gf, sf, df, vegan)
- 1/4 cup of oil (I used rapeseed)
- 200ml Almond Milk
- 8 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
- 12 tbsp agave syrup
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g plain gluten free flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
For the Syrup:
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 4 tbsp agave syrup.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160 Fan/ 150F/ GM4
- In a mixing bowl place the oil, milk, cordial, agave syrup and vanilla essence
- Add in the ground almonds, gf flour and baking powder & bicarb of soda.
- Mix up and put in a lined loaf tin and pop in the oven for 30 minutes until risen, brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Mix the syrup ingredients together and pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
I hope your family enjoys this cake as much as we did! You can follow me on Instagram for more allergy and family-friendly meal and snack ideas.
Like what I do here? Why not buy me a coffee … and as ever, take care of each other out there ❤
Pin this for later!