There has been so much going on ‘behind the scenes’ here that I’ve not had much chance to dabble in any delicious recipes lately! Also what with all this Brexit shambles going on there’s a part of my brain that keeps worrying about whether I should be panic buying tinned mangoes and wondering why my chips are made in Belgium! Extra anxiety is the enemy of creativity for me!
In my on-going battle to get to the route of my thyroid and fatigue problems I’ve also experimented with going sugar free – which for someone who loves cake as much as I do, SUCKS. However, it has made a noticeable difference to my energy levels so I intend to keep it up at least for a bit longer!
You can check out my other sugar free recipe here: Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Pudding!
This time I thought I’d muck about with coconut sugar, which is easy to bake with because you can use it as a direct substitute for regular sugar and it claims to be a source of calcium. If GI is important to you then it’s not a great sugar substitute as it doesn’t score that well, but it contains inulin which slows the release of sugar in to the bloodstream so it wont spike blood sugar levels and it’s also better for your gut microbiome than regular sugar is! Yay!
As well as being gluten free and refined sugar free, these delicious muffins are also dairy free and I think they would be fab for breakfast on the go or a great after-school snack. I mean, there’s a fruit in there and the peanut butter adds some protein and the seeds some omegas or something so my parenting here is done! Although my kids complained about the seeds (of course!) so while I love them with the seeds on top, they are optional!
If you wanted to vegan-ify it you could switch the eggs with an extra banana and a 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda or your usual egg-replacer.
Gluten Free Chocolate Breakfast Muffins (gf, df, sf) (makes 12)
- 175g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour Blend (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 100g Coconut Sugar (or regular sugar if not fussed about sugar free)
- 100ml Water
- 75ml Oil (I’ve used Carotino Oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Large Ripe Banana
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter (I prefer crunchy!)
- Seed Mix to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/GM6/400F
- Combine the self raising flour, cocoa powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- In a jug, measure 100ml of water and then add in 75ml of oil, the vanilla essence and crack in both eggs and beat mixture together with a fork.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and combine.
- In the same (now empty!) jug mash the banana with the fork and mix in the tablespoon of peanut butter and then chuck that in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour/spoon the mixture into a muffin tray lined with cases and sprinkle the seeds on top if you’re using them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Best enjoyed the same day you bake or the next day, store in an airtight container. I’ve not tried freezing them yet, but will report back after experimenting!
Never want to miss a new recipe? Sign up to my newsletter! ❤