Sometimes allergy-baking for or with kids can be a little tricky, but today I’ve got a simple easy cupcake recipe that will solve that problem! Since we home-ed, I love baking with the kids, it’s great for maths skills, following instructions and teamwork and these cute little cupcakes are perfect for Christmas (or any other time!)
This recipe is dairy free, egg free (so vegan), gluten free and nut free! It makes these delightful little springy cupcakes/fairy cakes which are perfect for decorating and the recipe is easy and great for baking with kids.
The cakes themselves are also refined sugar free, but the decorations I’ve used today do contain sugar, so if you want them to be totally sugar free you’ll have to experiment with your own frosting! (If anyone has found a sugar-free alternative to powdered/icing sugar in the UK then do let me know in the comments!)
I’ve used coconut sugar as a replacement for regular sugar in these cakes and it lends a deliciously caramel-y flavour that really reminds me of gingerbread and goes nicely with the cinnamon.
For decorating we found some ready-made Betty Crocker Salted Caramel icing cheap in B&M last week and we also found these adorable Christmas sugar decorations in there too. We had some chocolate frosting left over from a birthday cake so we used some of that up and we also used Schar gluten free pretzels for the Rudolph antlers!
My children had a lot of fun decorating these, it makes a great activity for a chilly winter afternoon. The cupcakes would be fab to take to a Christmas party, or to give as gifts.
Simple Christmas Cupcakes Recipe (dairy free, vegan, gluten free, reduced sugar) Makes 9:
- 100g dairy-free marg (I used the ‘hard’ Stork stuff for baking)
- 100g coconut sugar
- 2 ‘chickpea eggs’ (25g gram/chickpea flour mixed with 4tbsp water)
- 3tbsp dairy-free milk (I used Oatly barista this time)
- 100g Gluten Free Self-Raising flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Whatever you want to decorate with!
- Pre-heat oven to 200c/180c fan/ GM6 / 400F
- In a bowl beat the marg and sugar together until pale.
- Make up your ‘chickpea eggs’ in a cup, add the milk and then add that mix to the sugar and marg.
- Add the flour and cinnamon and mix well.
- Spoon in to cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cool decorate as you wish.
Want to see what else I’m rustling up in the kitchen? Follow me on Instagram! And don’t forget to look after each other out there ❤