The garden might be my ‘happy place’ for self-care, but I’m actually a fairly hopeless gardener! This year is the first year I’ve managed to actually grow some courgettes, so I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. My kids are really not into courgettes though so I needed a way to use the veggies up that would appeal to them. I do sometimes sneakily blend courgettes in to a pasta sauce, but this time maybe really I just needed an excuse to make brownies…
These delicious brownies are gluten free, dairy free, vegan and refined sugar free (although there is likely some sugar in the choc chips, depending on the brand you use you can get sugar & dairy free choc chips on Amazon here) and it’s a nice and easy recipe. The kids were really not impressed that I’d baked brownies that contained a vegetable they ‘hate’, but then when they actually tried them said they were super tasty and all was forgiven!
I’m loving experimenting with gluten free baking at the moment and coming up with easy delicious recipes like this! I hope you enjoy these as much as my family do ❤️
If you don’t need the brownies to be vegan you can sub the 3 ‘chickpea eggs’ for 3 regular eggs, and if you don’t need them to be sugar free you can sub the coconut sugar for regular sugar. To grate the courgette I just used a cheese grater, nothing fancy. I used a loaf tin because I needed something small but deep, if you have a square brownie pan that fits that description then that would be fine too, it doesn’t really need to be ‘loaf’ shaped.
Courgette Chocolate Brownies Recipe (gf, df, vegan, sf) Makes 8:
- 3tbsp chickpea flour & 6 tbsp of water (this makes 3 ‘chickpea eggs’)
- 125g plain/dark chocolate chips
- 75g dairy free spread
- 100g gluten free plain flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 1tsp baking powder- 70g coconut sugar
- 75g grated courgette (I peeled mine first but you don’t have to)
- few drops of vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/350F/GM4 and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2) Mix up the chickpea flour & water in a cup to make the ‘eggs’.
3) Melt the choc chips & dairy free spread together in the microwave (or in a bowl over a pan of hot water).
4) In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and coconut sugar.
5) Add the ‘eggs’ to the flour mix, then the grated courgette, then the chocolate mix and then the vanilla essence and combine.
6) Pour in to the prepared loaf tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until ‘cracking’ on top and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for a few minutes before slicing otherwise they’re a bit crumbly, but once cool they’re squidgy and good!
These are usually wolfed down immediately just as they are in our house, but they would also be delicious served with custard or ice cream like a pudding.
If these brownies look like a bit too much effort, why not try this vegan, gluten free 5 Minute Mug Pudding? Or for another recipe that uses produce from your garden check out these Raspberry Breakfast Bars. Need ideas for something before dessert? Try this Easy Vegan Moroccan Tagine!
Remember to look after each other out there,
Kirstie Anne ❤️