We’re lucky that our garden came with raspberry canes and we always get a bumper crop from them. If there was one plant I’d recommend everyone to grow (provided you have space of course!) it would be raspberries, they are just SO easy to look after. It doesn’t matter if it rains all spring, it doesn’t matter if the bindweed takes over and tangles them up with the elder tree, it doesn’t matter that the squirrels, mice and rabbits eat half of them – there’s always plenty of raspberries for us too!
So, after the disappointment of losing my entire potato crop to blight this year, on top of my usual ineptitude at growing things, the raspberries just seem even more of a gift to be grateful for than usual! In fact the year that the raspberry harvest fails might just be the year I give up on gardening altogether! lol
We usually get so many that we give some away to neighbours and I stash a load in the freezer to make Chia Jam with later in the year, but I like to come up with new recipes to use them up too. Last year I shared my Berry Breakfast Bars, last week I shared Forest Fruit Ice Creams and this week I’m sharing these amazing Chocolate Raspberry Brownies.
These squidgy, delicious morsels are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and vegan too (although it’s easy to swap in real eggs if you want to). The perfect summer, allergy-friendly, bake to do with kids on a rainy day! (There’s been so many of those this week!)
Raspberries are packed with nutrients, notably Vitamin C (one cup = 50% of your rda), Manganese and Vitamin K and despite their sweetness they’re actually quite low in fruit sugar. They are also high in fibre and antioxidants – woo raspberries!
Chocolate Raspberry Brownies (gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, vegan) Makes 9:
- 3 ‘Chickpea Eggs’ – mix 3 tbsp of gram/chickpea flour with 6 tbsp water – OR sub for 3 of whatever egg replacement you usually use – OR just use 3 regular eggs (sometimes we make this with eggs from our free range pet chickens – I have an Instagram highlight if you want to ‘meet’ them!)
- 150g Dark Chocolate – pick one that is dairy and sugar free
- 100g Dairy Free butter
- 100g Plain Gluten Free Flour (I use Dove’s Farm)
- 175g Coconut Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 3-4 handfulls of Raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/ 350F/GM4 and line a square brownie pan with baking paper.
- First make your ‘chickpea eggs’ by mixing the flour and water together and put to one side.
- In a microwavable bowl break up your dark chocolate into pieces and add the butter then melt in the microwave on short bursts until melted – stir until smooth. Set to one side.
- In a large mixing bowl place the flour, sugar and baking powder and mix to combine.
- Add in the ‘eggs’ (or actual eggs)
- Stir in the chocolate/butter mixture
- Stir in 2/3rds of the raspberries
- Spread in to a lined brownie pan and then push the rest of the raspberries in to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- They’re quite crumbly when you first take them out of the oven so it’s best to let them cool for a while before slicing and attempting to eat, so that they firm up!
Want to use more of your garden produce in your brownies? Try my Courgette Brownies!
Like what I do here? Why not treat me to a coffee? You can also Sign Up For The Newsletter too, where I share seasonal recipes and health stuff. (No spam, promise, I’m actually quite lazy at sending newsletters so you’ll definitely not get bombarded! lol)
Don’t forget to check out my Allergy-Friendly Plant Based Snack Ideas for Kids guide for more inspiration on healthy stuff to feed your children (and you!).
Pin this for later: